Analytics

Monday 13 April 2009

Ceiling goes back in

When I last posted about the ceiling I'd just run out of sound deadening.

Since then I've replenished stocks and continued to cover the majority of exposed metalwork overhead.


The next layer to go up was the thermal lining, as demonstrated here by Nikki.


As you can see, half the roof is already back in place. The method used here is to clip one end in place then stuff the cavity with loft insulation to remove the 'air-layer' between the van roof and internal ceiling.


And that's it. All clipped back into place. I've painted the grey plastic surrounds of the interior lights to match the roof fabric. Sorry about the picture quality!

The roof is lined with a faux-suede material that looks like expensive alcantara. One handy tip; before you go searching for expensive materials and trimmings, take a look around at pre-made curtains. Our-roof lining is nothing more than a pair of curtains from Argos and cost no more than £35. Similar materials weigh-in at between £10 and £20 per metre.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stone174,
    thanks for the great blog.

    I'm at the insulation/carpeting stage with my T5 and your tips are very helpful!

    I have one question about the roof fabric....

    Why did you not go with the carpet you used for the walls on the ceiling too? I was planning on this but now I'm wondering if it may be a bad idea.

    thanks

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob, thanks for reading.

    The roof panels from VW are too flimsy to hold that weight of carpet, plus the added thickness would have meant the VW clips would not re-attached to the metalwork.

    You could carpet over the whole thing if you don't want to take the roof panels out again, but I plan to do some wiring-in of lights and AV at a later date so wanted everything to remain removable.

    Hope that helps,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete