Analytics

Monday 20 April 2015

Stop... Spanner Time!

Regular readers will know that I'm not the most mechanically-minded T5 owner. I will turn my hand to some jobs as you may have already read, but others I prefer to leave in the hands of the professionals. So what happens when a small job presents itself but there isn't enough information available for me to tackle the job?

Time to break out the Haynes manual! Used by car-hobbyists worldwide, the Haynes manual can really help in that gap between user-knowledge and bothering a mechanic with something quite trivial. And here it is, just released:


It says something about the popularity of the T5 for Haynes to go ahead and create a workshop manual, maybe it's release goes hand-in-hand with the launch of the new T6 Transporter?

Should you fancy getting your hands on the workshop manual, here's a handy link:

4 comments:

  1. Good morning

    Well I have just spent the last week reading through your blog from start to finish and what a great read! The detail and experiences you have gone through with your build is really helpful - we are just starting out on the same road but struggling to find a suitable base can which hasn't been to the moon or back or is priced stupidly, this lifestyle accessory has really taken off! I love what you have achieved with yours, I think in the 'scene' they call it OEM+ (very down with the kids).

    Can I ask that if you had to do this build again would you do things in a different order and if so what would come first?

    Thanks and keep up the good work!

    Si

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Si for the kind words. If I was starting again? The roof would come first, then wiring and plumbing, furniture then bed, then the other bits - almost a complete opposite of the way I have done things! But they were my priorities at the time; a van I could sleep in first then keep saving and spending as funds allowed - I opened a separate bank account to do this.
      With regards 'scene' I'm not sure I fit in to any one pigeonhole, I'm building the van just for me and whilst I'm trying to keep it 'show quality', I'm not sure I'll ever show the van properly, does that make sense?
      Hope you find the right base soon, keep looking and be prepared to travel for the right one.

      Richard (stone174)

      Delete
  2. I agree with the previous comment, fantastic blog I've really enjoyed it over the last couple of weeks (although I am a little late to the party). A recent visit to Devon has pricked my interest in Campers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, that's exactly how it started for us. We were regular 'canvas' campers but started to notice all these cool vans down in the southwest and admired the snail-like living; carrying all that you need around with you. Good luck if you head down the Camper-route... you won't regret it!

      Richard (stone174)

      Delete