Analytics

Friday 8 October 2010

Back in the Loop...

The recent driveshaft failure has made us think about not using the van as a daily driver, raiding the savings account and bringing-forth the purchase of a cheap and economical daily driver...

Due to a work relocation, my journey to work has changed from 'steady-going country roads' to 'stop-start urban-annoyance' - you know the type; being cut-up at roundabouts by people* that won't wait in a queue but would rather pass in the other lane and then cut-in at the last minute. I will attribute some of the driveshaft abuse to this change in driving style - and having had a little one litre Lupo from Aire Valley Workshop for the last few days, I can safely say that I'd rather be commuting in the Lupo than in the van (something I never thought I'd say). After-all... who's rushing to get to work?!

Plus we're adding miles to the van at a fair rate, roughly 20,000 a year, if this continues the van will have 200K on the clock by the time we put a pop-up roof in!!! Time for a second vehicle again...

Our old Lupo GTi was by-far the best vehicle we've ever had; it had all the zing of a Mk1 Golf GTi (we had one of those too!) combined with the exclusivity of their being less than a 1,000 right-hand-drive GTi's imported for UK roads - it is rumoured there's only 600 left! The Lupo GTi always felt a bit special even on the most mundane of journeys.
Whilst I'd love another GTi, I don't think we can make ends meet when it comes to insurance and fuel costs. And all my fantasies of beasting around the Yorkshire Dales in a Land Rover Defender (or similar) just won't become a reality on my salary.

So the hunt is on (thankfully with no great rush) to find the perfect little Lupo. No more than £1,500, 1.0 or 1.4, petrol or diesel, preferably not yellow but I'm not fussy, don't mind a high-miler as long as there's history with it, not over-modified either but would be nice if already lowered (sorry, can't help myself!).

*Salesmen in BMWs, Fatcats in Audis, Wannabes in Range Rovers, School-run-mum's Picassos, Girls in New-Minis still doing their makeup on the way to work, the list is endless...

No comments:

Post a Comment