Analytics

Sunday 14 October 2012

Roof reality

This was the weekend I'd been waiting for over the whole period of having the van; the day we finally talk about putting the pop-top roof in. A day that I had in my mind would be exciting and momentous in the van's project history - in reality, I'm left rather deflated about the whole thing...

Photo credit: Paul Nutton

Those of you that have followed the Stone174 blog from the first post will have a good idea of the order that things have been done in. The project has always been a 'save a bit, spend a bit' affair, with jobs changing priority as the van has transformed.

The order has gone; windows, lining, bed, electrics, furniture, roof.

Ideally (if it had been an open cheque-book job) it would have been roof, windows, electrics, lining, furniture, bed. Almost completely the opposite way to how we have done it.

So to fit the roof it isn't just a case of whipping out the hacksaw and cutting a hole. To fit the strengthening beams the rear cupboard has to be trimmed. To do this right the interior furniture has to come out. To do this the bed has to come out, To remove the bed, most of the electrics/stereo/lighting have to come out.

Photo credit: Paul Nutton

We always knew it was going to be a bigger project than fitting a roof to an empty van - but can I entrust someone else to pull it all apart and put it back together again?

So far we've only chatted to GT Campers about this. Their advantages are location, experience, and the right product - a roof from Reimo. They seem to have fitted quite a few and have ironed-out all the little quirks and issues that some less-experienced fitters have had - the marketplace is currently swamped with companies claiming to have the ultimate roof solution, but after a lot of research it seems many people have said 'I wish I had paid the extra and gone for Reimo'.

So. Do I start pulling bits of the van apart myself? Or do I hand it over and say 'everything works, give it me back like this, but with a roof!'

GT have said they only need the van for a week - which scares me a little after recent experiences with the facelift where I was given a similar deadline that over-ran. I'd rather it took two than was rushed in one.

One way or another it will be done this side of Christmas (hopefully) and to cheer us up from the dreaded thought of pulling our beloved camper apart, we ordered camping passes and tickets to next year's Volksworld show. Something to aim for and keep in sight throughout what I hope is going to be a painless process.

2 comments:

  1. A few friendly comments if I may.

    My conversion was an 'open cheque book' sort with the desire to get to as close to a 'California' functionability but without the frippery and cost.

    I bought my van as an ex-demo model from the VW Main Dealer in Bristol and had it largely converted by professionals, mainly at the MAD Workshop also in Bristol.

    The Riemo Roof was one of the first things fitted and I wish I had looked about a bit more now.

    It leaked both water and wind. The water I cured with fabsil, but I went all over Europe first time with a soaking wet roof lining. The wind blows through the mesh vent and I just lower the roof when it blows...not good if you wish to sleep 'upstairs'.

    The roof GRP has sagged and a pond of water sits on it when lowered, and it looks 'bent' when raised.

    The hinges have gone rusty! and the bolts fell out!

    And it squeaks when driving along, gawd does it make a racket. The friction between the rubbing strip and the van roof causes a perpetual creaking/squeaking that no amount of WD40 or silicone lubricant will cure.

    There is certainly an opening for a better product in the UK than the Riemo. I look with envy at the quality of the California roof (even though it is electric, and electric means complication). I am aware of the SCA roof but never inspected one. I saw a fabulous Westfalia roof recently (on a Mercedes Vito conversion) but has not that company gone bust?

    Oh and a small point that I am sure your convertor knows about....the van must be completely covered in plastic sheeting during the cutting out process....if you get steel swarfe from the cutting saw on your paintwork, even the smallest dust, come the first rain the rusty particles will burn through the bare metal and wreck your paint finish.

    I have just returned from my latest 5 week trip to the South of France so I live the the Riemo for weeks at a time. I just now don't think it is the product I thought it was when I parted with my money.

    Look harder is my suggestion. Good Luck.

    Monty





    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monty, I can't understand why you've had almost every problem compounded in one roof install - have you not thought about taking it back to be rectified? Such a large purchase needs to be fit-for-purpose.

    I discussed the water ingress issues and how they work around it. I'm aware of the draught and don't plan to sleep upstairs. The sagging roof is a new one on me but have heard of people fitting strengthening bars on the inside to counteract this.

    A friend of mine who hires vans out for a living has just had a Reimo fitted and all seems perfect. No noise when on the move either.

    I'm going to stick with the roof from GT Campers and trust them with the removal/replacement of the bed and furniture - after recent experiences I'm not afraid to complain should everything not come back the way it is supposed to.

    PS: Westfalia are still in business - and back working with VW again; they've just produced a new high-top camper for them - I'm hoping they'll move on to a Westfalia pop-top next, that could be the van to replace this one in a few years.

    ReplyDelete