Analytics

Saturday 9 April 2011

Camping Local

The cheapest Bed, Breakfast and Evening Meal in the Dales
So often we take for granted the countryside that is closest to home. Living in Skipton, North Yorkshire, I'm fairly privileged to have the Dales on my doorstep. For that reason (and the added good weather forecast) we decided on a quick overnighter in Kettlewell.

No more than 30 minutes up the road is the Causeway campsite; small and perfectly situated for the village's three pubs, walks by the river and, in my case, a spot of mountain biking.

With Mrs. Stone174 and her mother sampling every cake the WI could offer in the village hall, I grabbed my well-thumbed OS Explorer map and took off... upwards! It's a climb in almost every direction out of the village!

Glorious single-track bridleway
Technical, rocky decent
Needless to say, two beers, a meal and a read of the paper and I was ready for bed.

So next time you start planning that trip or weekend away, take a look closer to home - you may be surprised by what you find...

No comments:

Post a Comment