Analytics

Thursday 25 March 2010

The wheel dilemma continues...

Last week I was so close to fitting these I could smell the fresh rubber...

...then I found out that there are no 8.5J rims in stock, only 10J. Both me and Gary at Rimstyle seemed a little unsure, but after speaking directly with TSW, they confirmed they would fit.

In a way, they would fit, but the specified offset and rim width combined meant the wheels would protrude beyond the edge of the wheel-arch - not a look I want to go for!

Fair-play to Rimstyle, they flagged up a problem and halted the order - probably the right thing to do. So now I'm back to waiting to find out the availability of either a 20x8.5 or a 19x8.

The other option would be to start looking for a new wheel - but my heart is now set on these - anything else would surely be a compromise. As usual - watch this space...

6 comments:

  1. What's the total cost for 4 alloys and 4 tyres in this set up? They look really smart and have a suspicion they would look evil on my black kombi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For 20" alloys with tyres (upgraded to Avon because I didn't want a 'no-brand' tyre) with new bolts and lockers, tyres fitted and delivered, comes in at around £1350

    I'd be carful about putting black rims on a black van - it can easily start to look a bit 'drug-dealer' if you know what I mean ;)

    I chose black in contrast to the light Stone Blue paintwork, to work with the heavy tinted side and rear windows - silver alloys just wouldn't look right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drug-dealer? Yes - like I said, evil. ;-)

    £1350 is a lot of cash! Still, I think they'll look great on Stone174! Can't wait to see what sort of an improvement it makes to the look.

    I am concentrating totally on the camping mods at the moment and leaving external style mods like alloys and lowering till that's alll finished (and paid off!). So will be a while before I can upgrade the alloys on mine.

    Still loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll second that, loving the blog!
    Cheers, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers for you comments, I've been keeping-up on your blog too, it's good to see everyone doing vans differently and tailored just to their use.

    Agreed, the wheels are an expensive cost - as the credit card will soon find out - but we've been saving for a number of years for this van to be 'just right', no compromises.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next big purchase after that will be the full interior, can't wait.
    So looking forward to just disappearing for the weekend straight from work on a Friday.
    Heater fitted by Christmas and a pop-top in 2 years.

    Nikki
    (Mrs Stone174)

    ReplyDelete