Analytics

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Mail order frustration

There's not much progress to report on the van at the moment - we're waiting on initial sketches from Campershak and saving money at the same time too.

The wheel dilemma has ground to halt, so I thought I would start sourcing various elements for the interior build; sink/hob unit, lighting, electrics etc.

There seems to be a current trend amongst online stores that they seem to be fearful of telling you an item is 'out of stock' - to a point I can understand - lots of people are desperate for your money. But surely it is more damaging to lead you to believe an item is in stock only to later find out is in a container somewhere between China and the UK?

The first time this happened I put it down to bad luck (by this point the company had taken my money), the second time (different company) I emailed first and admired their honesty, the third time (different company again) the order was taken over the phone to double-check items are in stock. Which they were.

Now they're not.

I'm starting to think nobody has anything in stock. Wheels have to be made to order and shipped from Italy (I think), stereo equipment is in France somewhere, lighting is living the life on the ocean waves, and fingers-crossed the new bed foam should arrive later this week.

Although I'm not convinced.

The lesson learned here is never trust a website alone, speak to a human being and find out for definite if an item is really available. Most online retailers will take seconds to take money from your account, then lazily take a month to repay on any cancelled orders.

Is this really the price I have to pay when shopping around?

No comments:

Post a Comment