Analytics

Tuesday 20 September 2011

From sublime to surreal...

If you've been reading the previous posts about Vanfest and the week in Wales, you'll have noticed the bike has been on the back of the van for most of the time. I knew I'd only realistically get two biking opportunities; the Malvern Hills and today in the forest at Beddgelert.
Before setting off I had downloaded a handy map which showed some reference points (the campsite) and some viewpoints (much higher up) linked by forest tracks that had been cleverly numbered with marker posts. Simple, follow the numbers and find your way around.

Or not so simple. Since the numbering of the posts on the map in my pocket the Forest Enterprise have been around a renumbered them according to their own map - and the two don't tally up!

I soon worked out that if I was heading 'north and up' I was gradually getting further from the campsite, thus heading 'down and south' I would return towards the campsite.

I'll let the pictures do the talking of how quiet, spectacular and beautiful the forest was that morning:
Gradual climbing, surrounded by mountains
Llyn Llewelyn - half way up
Looking back towards the campsite
Some nice, unused tracks (with occasional single-track)
Whilst I could have spent all day up there, I had Mrs. Stone174's sanity to think about, so some speedy descending back to the site for a shower and a brew before making the trip down to Porthmadog to find the awesome Deli Y Bwtri for a large meat and cheese-based sandwich. As the weather was fairing-up we stocked up on a few provisions (including cheap chocolate from Lidl) and headed for a bit more beach.

Knowing there was some beach close-by, we kept driving until we hit sand - quite literally! The wide expanse of Black Rock Sands (where it was free to drive and park on the beach) became a great photo opportunity.
The van looks truly at home on the sand
'Nothing too surreal so far' you're thinking. With our craving for beach satisfied we journeyed southwards for a few miles to Portmeirion. I half-knew what to expect and, having never really watched The Prisoner, I was keen to learn more about the history and pre-television days of the village. Luckily it was half-price admission after 3pm so we paid and wandered in...
I quite liked the place; from certain views it feels more Italian than Welsh. Yes there are weird bits and some of the colours are a bit 'ice-cream parlour' but there are some nice quirky touches -  I won't spoil the surprise for those that haven't been!

After escaping the heady-dose of surreal it was back to relative sanity of the campsite for a final barbecue of the holiday - don't tell Number Two!

No comments:

Post a Comment